(Thanks to Prof. Dr. Molly Steenson for initiating this habit when I was a student. I’ve now trimmed it down a little as I find myself with the same answers to some questions year on year.)
- What did you do in 2022 that you’d never done before?
Stopped caring as much about the wrong things.
- Did anyone close to you give birth?
- Did anyone close to you die?
- What countries did you visit?
Canada (flight), Ireland (flight), France (train).
- What would you like to have in 2023 that you lacked in 2022?
Romantic love would be nice but I’ll settle for more money and longer holidays.
- What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting back into the habit of solo holidays.
- What was your biggest failure?
Having to send a debt collection agency after a client.
- Did you suffer illness or injury?
Perimenopause has kicked in so the quality of my sleep is awful now.
- What was the best thing you bought?
A really lovely Issey Miyake imitation dress from COS.
- Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Women in Iran.
- Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Too many to mention.
- Where did most of your money go?
Visits to 40 Maltby Street again.
- What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Getting better at glazing in pottery class.
- What song/album will always remind you of 2022?
This 2018 Sons of Kemet album.
- Compared to this time last year, are you:
More tired due to a totally different work pattern compared to last year’s lull post-project.
- What do you wish you’d done more of?
Longer holidays and there’s always an opportunity for more cycling.
- What do you wish you’d done less of?
- How will you be spending Christmas?
Lunch in Soho with J. and his mum.
- Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
- Did you fall in love in 2022?
Multiple times but never for very long.
- What was the best book(s) you read?
White Teeth by Zadie Smith was a revelation.
- What was your greatest musical discovery?
Too many jazz musicians to name.
- What did you want and get?
A lovely 9 month contract at the Design Council.
- What did you want and didn’t get?
A japanese rice cooker and a chef’s knife but that’s because I like delaying my consumer pleasures. I’ve been considering these for years now and never really make a move.
- What were your favourite films of this year?
C’mon C’mon kindof killed me.
- What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
It’s on Friday and a cycle and dinner is on the cards. 42.
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2022?
Chief Design Officer vibes with big jewellery and fun collared shirts.
- What kept you sane?
Conversations with J. , voice notes with M. chats with mum, dinners on my own, cycling.
- What political issue stirred you the most?
*waves at everything*
- Who did you miss?
M. who died in 2021.
- Who was the best new person you met?
M & F are nice new people.
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2022.
Pace yourself, don’t waste energy, concentrate on what matters, care about the right things, not everything. It’s been an exhausting lesson to learn.
- Quote a song lyric that sums up your year?
Every day, I lean on a lamp post
I’m wasting my time
Every night, I lay on a pillow
I’m resting my mind
Every morning brings a new day
And every night, that day is through